VAC is able to offer basic IT advice to help community groups with:
- Setting up a website
- Database development
- Setting up Office IT systems
Who do we help?
We work with local Camden groups and networks, local authorities, strategic partnerships, housing associations and NHS Trusts, mainly from within Camden, but also from across London and further afield.
- Our services are either free or low-cost to all Camden based voluntary and community sector organisations and to groups located outside of the borough as long as they mainly serve Camden residents.
- If you are a community organisation that mainly works outside of Camden or you work in the private or public sector you can still get support from us, through one-to-one, intensive support charged at a very competitive rate. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Get help now!
The fastest way to get support is to submit an enquiry via our Clearing House Web Enquiry Form. Alternatively you can contact us by phone, email or in person.
Tel: 020 7284 6568
In addition, on this page we have gathered together a selection of briefings and links to websites and online resources that you might find useful when working on ICT issues.
You can use the links below to jump to the section you’re interested in. If you come across other resources that you find helpful, why not let us know so that we can add them.
- Developing an ICT Strategy
- Keeping Pace with New Technology
- Developing and Managing a Website
- Writing for Websites
- Website Accessibility and Usability
- Dyslexia Awareness
- Blogs and Wikis
- Social Media for Charities
- Data Protection Act
- Computer Security
- Is Your Software Legal?
- Secure Passwords
- Email Good Practice
- An Introduction to Web 2.0
- Using Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
- Cloud Computing
Microsoft Guides for Not-for-Profit Organisations
Microsoft have published guides for not-for-profit organisations to support their digital development. The guides are:
- The New Imperative of Nonprofit Digital Transformation – A guide to developing a strategic approach to increasing your organisation’s impact through best use of digital resources. This can be found by clicking here
- Nonprofit Digital Assessment Worksheet – A tool to identify how you utilise your digital resources and handle things like privacy and security. This can be found by clicking here.
- Nonprofit Guidelines for Cybersecurity and Privacy – a guide to help your organisation keep it’s information safe, and in keeping with the law. This can be found by clicking here.
Meeting and Event Scheduling
Online File Storage
E-bulletins and Newsletters
Build a website
Free IT help for charities
CITA provides a range of FREE services to help charities be more effective through their use of technology. We work with charities with an income up to £5m, but have helped lots of small to medium sized charities with a range of income.
As a charity you can apply for one of the following free services, which are all delivered by volunteer IT experts:
· Tech Surgery – Don’t know where to start with your IT issues? Our free 2 hour Tech Surgery is designed to help you understand how IT can help support your charity what options might be available.
· IT Consultancy – Do you need help to define and scope an IT related project?
If you have identified a requirement for a specific IT project our service can match you with an independent volunteer who can help you define and scope your project.
· IT Project Delivery – Do you need some hands-on help to implement an IT related project?
Our free IT Project Delivery service helps charities find the right technical skills for an IT project.
If you are unsure where to start on your IT issues then sign up as a charity here https://members.charityithelp.org.uk/sign-up and apply for a Tech Surgery.
Free IT Helpline for London Voluntary Sector. The social welfare law and tech charity Lasa helps organisations make the best use of technology to deliver their services. So if you need help replacing your old computers, want to find out more about how cloud-based services can save money, or make better use of social media to raise your organisation’s profile, Lasa can provide you with independent, impartial and free advice.
Call 020 7426 4473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other ICT Support Organisations:
- The ICT Knowledge Base: a comprehensive, easy-to-use source of independent information and help on technology issues.
- Media Trust: Helps charities communicate using a variety of technology and communication platforms.
- SuperHighways: provide a range of services including technical and strategic support and advice, ICT training, project management and consultancy.
- Charity Technology Exchange (CTX) Provides significant discounts on donated technology products including popular products from Microsoft – don’t buy any Microsoft products without checking CTX first.
- Open Pathways: a not-for-profit infrastructure organisation providing ICT support and social enterprise development advice to the charity and voluntary sector.
- Nominet Trust: bring together, invest in and support people committed to using digital technology to create social and economic value.
- Charity How To: provides premium nonprofit training webinars and supporting materials, teaching nonprofits about many important topics, including technology.
- LASA: work with thousands of third sector organisations, funders and others across the UK to support and promote their use of tech.