Tools for action and influence
The following resources and toolkits were largely developed through VAC projects in Bloomsbury and Somers Town to explore the neighbourhood planning process. VAC support for neighbourhood projects has generated information and templates that can be re-used and amended to suit other community initiatives.
The following resources were developed with Somers Town Neighbourhood Forum:
- Neighbourhood Forum Constitution
- Neighbourhood Boundary Application
- Application to become a Neighbourhood Forum
- Neighbourhood Plan policy drafting template
- Neighbourhood Plan policy drafting template – Working Example
- Camden Blueprint (analysis and lessons from planning in Bloomsbury and Somers Town)
These presentations contain useful information and insights for neighbourhood development:
- Community Land Trusts explores CLTs as delivery vehicles for new development and protecting communities from being squeezed out by rising land values. Watch the presentation on our YouTube channel below, or download a PDF copy of the PowerPoint presentation slides.
- Understanding the National Planning Framework explains the context for Neighbourhood Planning.
- Land evaluation / open book policy uses current development options in Somers Town to calculate land values. The presentation provides a ‘ready reckoner’ for understanding new developments could generate.
- Housing Policy explains the constraints on social housing providers and proposes intelligent solutions to the housing crisis.
- Sustainable Communities Act explains the 2009 Act and how it can be used to influence and instigate change.
Useful legislation for neighbourhoods:
- Assets of Community Value
- Community Rights
- Designating Village / Local Greens
- Setting up Parish Councils
For further information please email Donna Turnbull or call on 0207 284 6567.