In the August edition of VAC’s Safeguarding Podcast, Dianne Carlton-Ogunyemi our Community Safeguarding Lead talks to John Bayley – founder and Managing Director of HA9 Consultancy Ltd about: “Safeguarding and physical security in community settings”
John Bayley retired from the Metropolitan Police Service in 2014 with over 40 years of policing experience.
This included community policing and schools, gang crime, domestic violence, fraud investigation abroad, the Soham Murder Enquiry and counter terrorism to name a few.
Currently working in partnership with Camden and the Home Office, HA9 has now extended their activity to support all community groups and voluntary organisations, including supplementary schools, faith groups and charities.
In the podcast they discuss the importance of risk assessments, supervision and fire safety, safer recruitment and CCTV; plus John makes some recommendations on personal security, access control and identifying strangers.
You can listen to the podcast below:
HA9 also offers training and workshops on grooming and safety online. http://www.ha9consultancy.co.uk/
Made by Thames Valley Police, John uses the following video in his interactive safeguarding training. It tells the powerful story of a 13 year old girl who was groomed online.
For information on this training, physical security or other safeguarding support for your organisation, please email john directly at: email@example.com
Useful websites and resources:
- Parents and professionals can call the NSPCC helpline on: 0808 800 5000 for free, confidential information and advice about online grooming and keeping safe online
- Call Childline on: 0800 1111 if you are a child or young person worried about grooming or online safety: https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/online-grooming/
- Help keep children safe online:: https://www.internetmatters.org/
Fire safety and risk assessment templates for your organisation.
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE): https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/risk/index.htm?utm_source=hse.gov.uk&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=risk&utm_content=home-page-info
- London Fire Brigade: https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/
Are you a voluntary organisation, group or supplementary school delivering services to under 18’s in Camden?
If so, please contact Dianne Carlton-Ogunyemi at firstname.lastname@example.org for safeguarding training, guidance and support on keeping children safe.